1. One perk of the wedding business is getting to take home fancy bouquets after the ceremony!
2. I made special Girl Scout Cookie flavors for the ice cream parlor – Peanut Butter Patty was my favorite. I found a set of Art Deco dessert glasses for $1 each in a local charity shop. Ice cream tastes better from Deco!
3. Devaki Knowles took a polaroid of me from a SXSWi Meetup where we were both showcased.
4. I bought a set of calligraphy pens and inks to practice lettering and drawing. I haven’t had a proper set since I was very young – mostly I’ve been drawing cartoons on ancient sheet music and working on my cursive.
5. I took a trip to a Phonograph museum here in Austin and heard this phonograph lamp play – the sound comes from the horn, which doubles as the base of the lamp.
6. I caught a Grackle in my chicken coop, but all that I kept was this enormous feather.
I added this cute little girl and her gramophone to my Valentine collection this week. Isn’t she sweet? I love her green striped socks and peter pan collar dress with lacy bloomer peeking out. She looks the way I do when I peer into my phonograph horns.
With a change from Winter to Texas Spring, my hair has changed as well. It’s now quite long, and black! The right image shows the length with slight curl, and the left is me all done up with a pincurl set. I’ve never had black hair before, and it’s been fun readjusting to a different color scheme.
I’ll leave you with this priceless gem – 20s sheet music featuring a gentleman rocking out to his flapper femme with what only could be described as “Slayer Face.”